District 2 Councilman Hosts Property Tax Relief and Mortgage Assistance Clinic – The City of San Antonio

CONTACT: Imgard Rop, Public Relations Manager
[email protected] | (210) 207-8261

SAN ANTONIO (April 15, 2022) – Counselor McKee-Rodriguez’s office, in conjunction with Texas RioGrande Legal Aid and Bexar Appraisal District, will host a Property Tax and Mortgage Assistance Clinic for District 2 residents on Saturday, April 16 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Second Baptist Church Community Center at 3310 E. Commerce St.

This clinic is not limited to District 2 residents, as anyone in need of mortgage and property tax assistance can attend. Volunteers will help homeowners apply for waivers to save on property taxes and assist with applications for Texas Homeowners Assistance Funds. Our D2 staff will also be on hand to report any voter concerns and connect people to other resources.

“We often hear how onerous property taxes can be for our constituents, especially those on fixed incomes. We are collectively recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, and many still need help. This clinic is a tool we use to help our constituents understand their property tax bills, ask questions about the protest process, and seek relief from the state. We thank Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid for all they continue to do for our communities and the Bexar County Assessment District for their willingness to help,” Councilman McKee-Rodriguez said.

“We want to make sure residents are aware of the programs available to help them deal with skyrocketing property taxes,” said Kelly Hogue, attorney at Texas RioGrande Legal Aid. “As a member of HECHO, our staff will help homeowners, who may be struggling to make their mortgage payments due to COVID-19, by directing them to helpful resources and guiding them through the process.”

Individuals may be eligible for the Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund for the following categories:

  • Mortgages
  • Property taxes
  • Home Insurance
  • HOA/condo association fees.

If you are a landlord who needs help claiming property tax exemptions, bring:

  1. Your driver’s license or state-issued ID
  2. If you inherited your home from a deceased family member and their name is still on the property records, bring:

    (a) A copy of the previous owner’s death certificate

    (b) A copy of the most recent utility bill for the property

    (vs) If you have one, a citation of any court records relating to your ownership of the property (such as a probated will)
  1. If you are receiving SSI benefits due to disability, bring:

    (a) A letter from SSI indicating that you have a disability
  2. If you are a member of the following groups, additional help may be available. Bring any document proving that you are:

    a) The surviving spouse of a member of the armed forces killed in action

    (b) A surviving spouse of a first responder killed in the line of duty

    (c) A disabled veteran or his surviving spouse

    (d) A partially disabled veteran with a given residence or his surviving spouse

If you are a homeowner who has not paid a mortgage, property tax, HOA, or insurance in the past two years and want to apply for financial assistance, bring:

  1. Your driver’s license or state-issued ID
  2. Outstanding statements for mortgage, taxes, HOA or insurance
  3. Proof of occupancy (such as a utility bill)
  4. Proof of income (such as IRS Form 1040, two months of pay stubs, etc.)

For more information on the state assistance fund, please visit https://www.texashomeownerassistance.com/