Soon, Mecklenburg County residents in all six cities and unincorporated areas will be able to receive help paying their mortgages.
Mecklenburg County will begin accepting applications for its Mortgage Assistance Payment Program beginning April 4, 2022.
The Mortgage Assistance Payment Program is available through CARES Act funding provided through the Community Development Grant.
The Mortgage Payment Assistance Program provides financial assistance to low-to-middle income residents of cities and unincorporated areas who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19. Eligible homeowners can receive 3-6 months of consecutive payments to use towards their mortgage payments, including principal, interest, taxes and insurance.
To be eligible, owners must:
- Reside in cities and/or unincorporated areas of the county
- Have a household income of up to 80% of the area median income (AMI) prior to COVID-19 hardship
- Homeowners must have been up-to-date on the mortgage prior to the difficulties of COVID-19
- Owners must have COVID-19 related income loss or other eligibility criteria
Landlords must also prove loss of income or increased child care costs due to COVID-19, including:
- Reduction of working hours
- Job loss or leave
- COVID-19 illness of self or immediate family member
Applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted. To apply for the Mortgage Payment Assistance Program or to view eligibility criteria, visit RampCharMeck.com.